This is TikiWiki 1.9.7 -Sirius- © 2002–2006 by the Tiki community Wed 13 of Nov, 2019 [07:31 UTC]

Forum: Hot Heads Tech Talk

Forums->Hot Heads Tech Talk->Electronic conversion for 325 57 dodge

57dodge
Electronic conversion for 325 57 dodge


sad I am trying to convert my 57 dodge coronet 325 engine redface and am having alot of trouble. I can't find a conversion for my distributor and besides it, I have been told by my mach that the original distributor has a lot of play in it so I don't think it is worth converting. Pertronix doesn't make a dist for this engine. Does anyone know what company does? All help would be appreciated.
  user offline
on: Fri 14 of Dec, 2012 [18:56 UTC] reads: 16992

Posted messages

Top
author message
57dodge
user offline
Re: Electronic conversion for 325 57 dodge
on: Wed 02 of Jan, 2013 [14:39 UTC] score: 0.00
> sad I am trying to convert my 57 dodge coronet 325 engine redface and am having alot of trouble. I can't find a conversion for my distributor and besides it, I have been told by my mach that the original distributor has a lot of play in it so I don't think it is worth converting. Pertronix doesn't make a dist for this engine. Does anyone know what company does? All help would be appreciated.



How can I tell if my 325 is hi or low deck?

author message
George
user offline
Re: Re: Electronic conversion for 325 57 dodge
on: Thu 03 of Jan, 2013 [02:42 UTC] score: 0.00
>>
>
> How can I tell if my 325 is hi or low deck?

It's a high deck. 315 & 325

author message
57dodge
user offline
Re: Re: Re: Electronic conversion for 325 57 dodge
on: Fri 04 of Jan, 2013 [12:57 UTC] score: 0.00
> >>
> >
> > How can I tell if my 325 is hi or low deck?
>
> It's a high deck. 315 & 325

will the high deck make a difference in the distributor I choose? I know this sounds like a stupid question but I haven't worked on cars in 50 years and I am just trying to get it running well.

author message
George
user offline
Re: Re: Re: Re: Electronic conversion for 325 57 dodge
on: Fri 04 of Jan, 2013 [15:05 UTC] score: 0.00
>
> will the high deck make a difference in the distributor I choose? I know this sounds like a stupid question but I haven't worked on cars in 50 years and I am just trying to get it running well.

Basicly you have a couple options. A single or dual point dizzy for the 315/325 obviously bolts in. Might be a Pertronix for one or the other. Some 50s Mopar dizzys can take a later points plate that there is a Pertronix for. The usuall thing is to get a longer intermediat shaft to reach an LA dizzy or cut & extend the shaft on an LA points or electronic dizzy. If you do the cut & extend thing & it craps out on the road, you'll have to cut & extend the replacement from the parts house to get back on the road. Using the Melling M-50 392 oil pump is recommended so you don't have to worry about the extra lenth & other problems using the LA oil pump.

author message
57dodge
user offline
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Electronic conversion for 325 57 dodge
on: Mon 07 of Jan, 2013 [21:00 UTC] score: 0.00
> >
> > will the high deck make a difference in the distributor I choose? I know this sounds like a stupid question but I haven't worked on cars in 50 years and I am just trying to get it running well.
>
> Basicly you have a couple options. A single or dual point dizzy for the 315/325 obviously bolts in. Might be a Pertronix for one or the other. Some 50s Mopar dizzys can take a later points plate that there is a Pertronix for. The usuall thing is to get a longer intermediat shaft to reach an LA dizzy or cut & extend the shaft on an LA points or electronic dizzy. If you do the cut & extend thing & it craps out on the road, you'll have to cut & extend the replacement from the parts house to get back on the road. Using the Melling M-50 392 oil pump is recommended so you don't have to worry about the extra lenth & other problems using the LA oil pump.

Obviously displaying my total ignorance what does LA mean

author message
George
user offline
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Electronic conversion for 325 57 dodge
on: Tue 08 of Jan, 2013 [11:19 UTC] score: 0.00
>
> Obviously displaying my total ignorance what does LA mean

"LA" is the 273/318/340/360 family of small block engines made from the mid 60s up through a few years ago. "A" engines were earlier 318/277 made from late 50s to mid 60s with scalloped or wavy lower edge on the valve covers.

author message
Re: Electronic conversion for 325 57 dodge
on: Tue 18 of Dec, 2012 [17:37 UTC] score: 0.00
> sad I am trying to convert my 57 dodge coronet 325 engine redface and am having alot of trouble. I can't find a conversion for my distributor and besides it, I have been told by my mach that the original distributor has a lot of play in it so I don't think it is worth converting. Pertronix doesn't make a dist for this engine. Does anyone know what company does? All help would be appreciated.

57Dodge: Hot Heads has many electronic drop in distributors for 325 Dodge.
Here's the index: http://hothemiheads.com/dodge/ignition_system/index.html
Let me know if you can't find what you need. Bob Walker

author message
57dodge
user offline
Re: Re: Electronic conversion for 325 57 dodge
on: Sat 26 of Jan, 2013 [00:36 UTC] score: 0.00
> > sad I am trying to convert my 57 dodge coronet 325 engine redface and am having alot of trouble. I can't find a conversion for my distributor and besides it, I have been told by my mach that the original distributor has a lot of play in it so I don't think it is worth converting. Pertronix doesn't make a dist for this engine. Does anyone know what company does? All help would be appreciated.
>
> 57Dodge: Hot Heads has many electronic drop in distributors for 325 Dodge.
> Here's the index: http://hothemiheads.com/dodge/ignition_system/index.html
> Let me know if you can't find what you need. Bob Walker

Hi I would like to know if the Mopar Performance Electronic Distributor Conversion Kit - Dodge P/N 27004
will work for me and if it is a drop in. Do I need a coil (like the P/N 27040 Chrome Electronic Ignition Coil) also and does it require a P/N 27014 Mopar Distributor Adapter - All Hemi or is there anything else I need to buy? If there is a better dist let me know.

author message
George
user offline
Re: Re: Re: Electronic conversion for 325 57 dodge
on: Sat 26 of Jan, 2013 [03:57 UTC] score: 0.00
>
> Hi I would like to know if the Mopar Performance Electronic Distributor Conversion Kit - Dodge P/N 27004
> will work for me and if it is a drop in. Do I need a coil (like the P/N 27040 Chrome Electronic Ignition Coil) also and does it require a P/N 27014 Mopar Distributor Adapter - All Hemi or is there anything else I need to buy? If there is a better dist let me know.

What's it supposed to fit?question

author message
57dodge
user offline
Re: Re: Re: Re: Electronic conversion for 325 57 dodge
on: Mon 28 of Jan, 2013 [15:17 UTC] score: 0.00
> >
> > Hi I would like to know if the Mopar Performance Electronic Distributor Conversion Kit - Dodge P/N 27004
> > will work for me and if it is a drop in. Do I need a coil (like the P/N 27040 Chrome Electronic Ignition Coil) also and does it require a P/N 27014 Mopar Distributor Adapter - All Hemi or is there anything else I need to buy? If there is a better dist let me know.
>
> What's it supposed to fit?question

325 dodge coronet 1957

author message
George
user offline
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Electronic conversion for 325 57 dodge
on: Mon 28 of Jan, 2013 [15:57 UTC] score: 0.00
> > >
> > > Hi I would like to know if the Mopar Performance Electronic Distributor Conversion Kit - Dodge P/N 27004
> > > will work for me and if it is a drop in. Do I need a coil (like the P/N 27040 Chrome Electronic Ignition Coil) also and does it require a P/N 27014 Mopar Distributor Adapter - All Hemi or is there anything else I need to buy? If there is a better dist let me know.
> >
> > What's it supposed to fit?question
>
> 325 dodge coronet 1957

If it for a 315/325 it'll fit your 325. if it's not, it won't

author message
57dodge
user offline
Re: Re: Electronic conversion for 325 57 dodge
on: Thu 27 of Dec, 2012 [12:59 UTC] score: 0.00
> > sad I am trying to convert my 57 dodge coronet 325 engine redface and am having alot of trouble. I can't find a conversion for my distributor and besides it, I have been told by my mach that the original distributor has a lot of play in it so I don't think it is worth converting. Pertronix doesn't make a dist for this engine. Does anyone know what company does? All help would be appreciated.
>
> 57Dodge: Hot Heads has many electronic drop in distributors for 325 Dodge.
> Here's the index: http://hothemiheads.com/dodge/ignition_system/index.html
> Let me know if you can't find what you need. Bob Walker

Thanks for the info I will let you know, the problem has been that my engine is in the BASE model Coronet and has always had single point distributor as opposed to the D500 Royal that came stock with duel points. Noone makes a conversion for the single point dist.

author message
Jack
user offline
Re: Electronic conversion for 325 57 dodge
on: Sat 15 of Dec, 2012 [16:07 UTC] score: 0.00
If it were me I would get a later electronic distributer. I think Hot heads has the shafts available to convert these.
I know that a 318 distributer is a direct fit on the low deck Dodge.

author message
57dodge
user offline
Re: Re: Electronic conversion for 325 57 dodge
on: Thu 27 of Dec, 2012 [12:56 UTC] score: 0.00
> If it were me I would get a later electronic distributer. I think Hot heads has the shafts available to convert these.
> I know that a 318 distributer is a direct fit on the low deck Dodge.

Thanks for the info I am now checking with Hot Heads

author message
57dodge
user offline
Re: Electronic ignition conversion for 325 57 dodge
on: Fri 14 of Dec, 2012 [18:57 UTC] score: 0.00
> sad I am trying to convert my 57 dodge coronet 325 engine redface and am having alot of trouble. I can't find a conversion for my distributor and besides it, I have been told by my mach that the original distributor has a lot of play in it so I don't think it is worth converting. Pertronix doesn't make a dist for this engine. Does anyone know what company does? All help would be appreciated.


Page: 1/1

Show posts: