This is TikiWiki 1.9.7 -Sirius- © 2002–2006 by the Tiki community Wed 13 of Nov, 2019 [06:51 UTC]

Forum: Hot Heads Tech Talk

Forums->Hot Heads Tech Talk->241 Help

Texas-Devil
241 Help


I have a 241, and pulled the origil trans plate off the back of the motor. Im replacing it with the TH350 adapter. Apon inspection there are two holes on the back that look to be some sort of oil bypass or something. What are these and can I block them off? They are not threaded. I was told by a friend that is a Hemi guy and he told me to cap them off. Will this not hurt the flow of oil? Just looking for a second opinion.
  user offline
on: Sat 03 of Jan, 2009 [04:26 UTC] reads: 10757

Posted messages

Top
author message
stromberg97
user offline
Re: 241 Help
on: Sat 10 of Jan, 2009 [07:42 UTC] score: 0.00
> I have a 241, and pulled the origil trans plate off the back of the motor. Im replacing it with the TH350 adapter. Apon inspection there are two holes on the back that look to be some sort of oil bypass or something. What are these and can I block them off? They are not threaded. I was told by a friend that is a Hemi guy and he told me to cap them off. Will this not hurt the flow of oil? Just looking for a second opinion.


Here is a picture of mine..
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k276/STROMBERG97_2006/Install003.jpg
Duane..

author message
gerrymoe
user offline
Re: Re: 241 Help
on: Tue 20 of Jan, 2009 [03:12 UTC] score: 0.00
> > I have a 241, and pulled the origil trans plate off the back of the motor. Im replacing it with the TH350 adapter. Apon inspection there are two holes on the back that look to be some sort of oil bypass or something. What are these and can I block them off? They are not threaded. I was told by a friend that is a Hemi guy and he told me to cap them off. Will this not hurt the flow of oil? Just looking for a second opinion.
>
>
> Here is a picture of mine..
> http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k276/STROMBERG97_2006/Install003.jpg
> Duane..

author message
gerrymoe
user offline
Re: Re: 241 Help
on: Tue 13 of Jan, 2009 [04:51 UTC] score: 0.00

> Here is a picture of mine..
> http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k276/STROMBERG97_2006/Install003.jpg
> Duane..

Hey Duane
You forgot to put the {} on both ends of of your attachment.

author message
MattW
user offline
Re: 241 Help
on: Wed 07 of Jan, 2009 [13:53 UTC] score: 0.00
One quick note, I found that cheap old oven cleaner, the spray on variety will stip the blue & red anodization right off aluminum fittings, they can be polished or left natural aluminum that way, easier sometimes than the sand blasting. Matt W

> I have a 241, and pulled the origil trans plate off the back of the motor. Im replacing it with the TH350 adapter. Apon inspection there are two holes on the back that look to be some sort of oil bypass or something. What are these and can I block them off? They are not threaded. I was told by a friend that is a Hemi guy and he told me to cap them off. Will this not hurt the flow of oil? Just looking for a second opinion.

author message
Texas-Devil
user offline
Re: 241 Help
on: Sun 04 of Jan, 2009 [15:18 UTC] score: 0.00
> I have a 241, and pulled the origil trans plate off the back of the motor. Im replacing it with the TH350 adapter. Apon inspection there are two holes on the back that look to be some sort of oil bypass or something. What are these and can I block them off? They are not threaded. I was told by a friend that is a Hemi guy and he told me to cap them off. Will this not hurt the flow of oil? Just looking for a second opinion.


Hey OKC-Steve, Thanks for the help. But the holes in mine are kinda different. The top right one next to the freeze plug is correct. But my other one is on the bottom right flat spot in the pic. And neither of mine are threaded.

author message
OKC-Steve
user offline
Re: 241 Help
on: Sat 03 of Jan, 2009 [22:38 UTC] score: 0.00
Here's a picture of the back of a dodge lowdeck motor:

Dodge Rear

Here's the rear top:

Dodge Top Rear

And here's the front:

Dodge Front

All holes on the rear should be blocked-off.


author message
Texas-Devil
user offline
Re: Re: 241 Help
on: Sun 04 of Jan, 2009 [05:07 UTC] score: 0.00
> Here's a picture of the back of a dodge lowdeck motor:
>
> Dodge Rear
>
> Here's the rear top:
>
> Dodge Top Rear
>
> And here's the front:
>
> Dodge Front
>
> All holes on the rear should be blocked-off.
>

The holes in mine are like at 1 oclock and 4 oclock?

author message
OKC-Steve
user offline
Re: Re: Re: 241 Help
on: Sun 04 of Jan, 2009 [17:20 UTC] score: 0.00
> The holes in mine are like at 1 oclock and 4 oclock?

OK, I have to ask: where is your center reference to the clock?

On the round cast-in bosses there? The one just down and left from the main galley plug? and then the one down and right, next to and left of the bigger boss?

If so, your friend is right. Tap these for pipe-threads and put a plug in each. I think dodge made a transmission that oil from the engine and torque converter were shared. I would have thought they would have used a tapped hole, but I guess not.

You won't block oil to where it needs to go. Those bosses are pretty thick, and the short pipe plug won't go in to the flow.


author message
Texas-Devil
user offline
Re: Re: Re: Re: 241 Help
on: Mon 05 of Jan, 2009 [00:49 UTC] score: 0.00
> > The holes in mine are like at 1 oclock and 4 oclock?
>
> OK, I have to ask: where is your center reference to the clock?
>
> On the round cast-in bosses there? The one just down and left from the main galley plug? and then the one down and right, next to and left of the bigger boss?
>
> If so, your friend is right. Tap these for pipe-threads and put a plug in each. I think dodge made a transmission that oil from the engine and torque converter were shared. I would have thought they would have used a tapped hole, but I guess not.
>
> You won't block oil to where it needs to go. Those bosses are pretty thick, and the short pipe plug won't go in to the flow.
>

Steve if you give me your e-mail I can send you a pic. But either way if Im understanding you correct they need to be tapped and plugged correct?

author message
OKC-Steve
user offline
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 241 Help
on: Mon 05 of Jan, 2009 [02:14 UTC] score: 0.00
> Steve if you give me your e-mail I can send you a pic. But either
> way if Im understanding you correct they need to be tapped and
> plugged correct?

OK, I see the holes. Yes, those are in some meaty bosses there, and just need to tap them for pipe threads, and put some pipe plugs in there. Take all those out when getting the block vatted, and put some new ones in. I had to drill one of mine out, as it became one with the block. I also tapped my crankshaft, and used some grade-8 bolts at 100 pounds torque. Those bolt and nut things will wear you out trying to get them on and off.

Here's the pic, as others were interested. I've never seen those bosses used before.

Dodge 241 Rear


author message
Texas-Devil
user offline
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 241 Help
on: Mon 05 of Jan, 2009 [21:27 UTC] score: 0.00
Well this one thats pictured is just being used for a mocup. But the other 241 in placed the same way. Just had the new one vated and bored 30. Did find out today though that you can use a standard SB Mopar Destrib in place of the stock?!?! Thats good because the 3duece manifold wouldnt clear the stock one.

author message
OKC-Steve
user offline
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 241 Help
on: Mon 05 of Jan, 2009 [23:15 UTC] score: 0.00
Yes, I'm using the Mallory distributor and it works on the LA engine and low-deck dodge hemi like you say.

I also used a chevy small block chrome tube for the oil and breather at the front of the motor. Have to saw off the bottom part that is reduced. I think they were used on 283's but most speed shops have them. Then put on a chrome breather.

I also sandblasted Bob's water fittings to give an aluminum look rather than blue and red anodized. Here's a picture from Christmas a year ago. I assembled the block on Christmas Eve, and put it in the car and mounted the heads on Christmas. The only two warm days in 3 weeks.

Dodge 270 in a 32

Have fun!


author message
Texas-Devil
user offline
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 241 Help
on: Tue 06 of Jan, 2009 [03:01 UTC] score: 0.00
> Yes, I'm using the Mallory distributor and it works on the LA engine and low-deck dodge hemi like you say.
>
> I also used a chevy small block chrome tube for the oil and breather at the front of the motor. Have to saw off the bottom part that is reduced. I think they were used on 283's but most speed shops have them. Then put on a chrome breather.
>
> I also sandblasted Bob's water fittings to give an aluminum look rather than blue and red anodized. Here's a picture from Christmas a year ago. I assembled the block on Christmas Eve, and put it in the car and mounted the heads on Christmas. The only two warm days in 3 weeks.
>
> Dodge 270 in a 32
>
> Have fun!
>


Steve thats one clean motor bro! Lookin great. Man keep me updated on that. You have my e-mail. Ill send you pics of my 21 Dodge roadster that Im doing the 241 for. I dont know how to post pics on here. But you might get a kick out of an old Road Devils beater :)

author message
51Coupe
user offline
Re: Re: 241 Help
on: Sun 04 of Jan, 2009 [00:20 UTC] score: 0.00
GREAT Pictures - OKC ! Thanks for the assist!
We can clearly see the dowel pins and the holes above them apear to be through holes for bolts from the engine side to the trans. The rest should all have threads! Except for the big one behind the cam.

author message
gerrymoe
user offline
Re: 241 Help
on: Sat 03 of Jan, 2009 [16:47 UTC] score: 0.00
Where are the holes approx.? The dowel pins that locate the tranny are usually at 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock approx. I believe stromberg97 has that combination maybe if he is lurking around here he will reply.

author message
stromberg97
user offline
Re: Re: 241 Help
on: Sat 10 of Jan, 2009 [07:38 UTC] score: 0.00
> Where are the holes approx.? The dowel pins that locate the tranny are usually at 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock approx. I believe stromberg97 has that combination maybe if he is lurking around here he will reply.


Plug them up. You can tap them or find a freeze plug that fit..
Duane..

author message
51Coupe
user offline
Re: 241 Help
on: Sat 03 of Jan, 2009 [13:42 UTC] score: 0.00
The two holes you're refering to could be for dowel pins to locate the trans. If they are oil holes, you don't want oil going to the trans!


Page: 1/1

Show posts: